Friday 13 April 2018

Evaluation - What Have You Learned From Your Audience Feedback?

To gain myself appropriate and relative audience feedback for my film, I made a questionnaire for a few of my close friends and family to answer anonymously. The questions were both open and closed in order or accumulate a variety of responses. The questionnaire itself was quite short however the questions asked allowed me to really understand and analyse feedback from both my target audience, and other age groups. Below are the questions given, and their responses numbered 1-6.

After watching, use one word to describe the film

1. Scary
2. Intense
3. Suspenseful
4. Slow
5. Confusing
6. Jumpy

What was, in your opinion, the best part of the film?

1. The bit where she points the gun at herself.
2. When the girl is looking through the box and the demon thing is behind her.
3. The ending where she's killed her boyfriend or husband.
4. I liked the opening shot of the box, I thought that was a cool way to start the film.
5. When the ghost is standing behind her telling her to kill the boyfriend.
6. Where the necklace drops right at the end and you hear a gun shot but don't see what happened.

After looking at the poster, what genre would you think the film is?

1. Horror
2. Horror
3. Horror
4. Thriller or Horror
5. Ghostly Horror
6. Horror

If you could, yourself, add anything to the film that you felt was missing. What would you add?

1. More blood
2. A little more back story for the demon
3. A scene where you see her kill the boyfriend
4. Maybe a bit more dialogue
5. A fight between the demon and the girl in like her head or something
6. More jump scares

Finally, what would you rate the film out of 10? (1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest)

1. 7/10
2. 7/10
3. 8/10
4. 6/10
5. 6.5/10
6. 8/10

Having received and listened to all of my audience feedback I decided that it was predominantly positive and for that reason I won't be changing anything from both my final film, and both my ancillary tasks. None of the respondents had really negative feedback to say, however all the critiques I was given especially in the 4th question, I have taken on board and agree with completely as I myself would add quite a bit to my film if I had enough time to go back and if I could make it as long as I wanted. It was quite difficult to make a horror film that was both scary, interesting and conclusive all under a very low time window. The main critique being more introduction and explanation for the demon, and if I could go back and add, or change anything, it would be a sequence where you understand why the demon is there in the house, in the first place and what it wants.

In addition to that, what I would of changed if I could do the movie again, I would start by changing the scene where she is sat at the table with her boyfriend, by muffling the dialogue a bit more to make it feel like you are listening from inside her head. As well I would have changed the scene when the demon is standing behind Ashleigh and the camera is cutting quickly, I would have made that sequence a bit longer with a few flashed of the demon by itself, and towards the end of the sequence I would have made the cut to black longer, to add more suspense as I feel that was something that lacked throughout the film.

Overall, I gathered from the film that it was fairly easy to digest and follow, bar one exception which was respondent 5 who said the film was at times "confusing", which I fully understand as I myself felt that there was alto of information and story that wasn't presented to the audience that probably should of been, again, due to the short run time. However challenging this, all other responses indicated to me that the plot was simple to understand and the scares weren't over used or over saturated to the point where the film becomes repetitive and therefore boring. The only thing that could have been remotely debatable for the audience was the reason why the demon is there and what its purpose is.

No comments:

Post a Comment